Apcotex Ltd was spun-off from the prestigious Asian Paints in 1991. Since then the co is part of the “APCO” group of companies headed by Mr. Atul Choksey (former MD – Asian Paints).
The company is one of the leading producer of polymer products namely Synthetic Latices & Synthetic Rubber. They have one of the broadest ranges of products based on Styrene – Butadiene chemistry. The company has developed the technology through in-house R&D and upgrades the same continuously.
Company has been doing very well for last 5 years and growing at a CAGR of 26% and did a turnover of 200 Cr in FY 11. It seems the management is much more aggressive now and aims to do a 500 Cr turnover by 2013!
Other scoring points are :
1. Promoter Quality – The promoters have more than 3 decades of experience in paints and chemical industry and are experts in the field of chemicals.
2. Good corporate governance – Company seems to have very good internal controls and systems. For last 5 years the company has been following the Japanese TPM method. The company has been regular in financial reporting and progressive dividend pay-outs. They even went for a buy-back during 2009.
3. Virtually debt free company with high dividend payout – In FY 2011, the co had paid dividend @ 70% and this provides a significant comfort on the downside. Usually the company pays about 30% of its earnings as dividends.
Valuation @ CMP of 163:
- Stock trades at 8 times FY 2011 earnings.
- In Q1, the co has reported 64.46 Cr turnover posting a growth of 57% over last year.
- Stock trades at about 1.4 times its BV of 115.
Given the strong management pedigree, good growth prospects, liberal dividend pay-outs, it seems to be a very good long-term investment idea. One must allocate 1-2% of the portfolio to this idea and increase the exposure as the value gets better.